Signs such as this one are made heavy and strong to resist the fierce Kansas winds.
All Kansas Air Tour
April 1-7, 2008
80th Anniversay Reinactment
Some people get to make history, others are unknowingly a part of it and then there are those of us fortunate enough to participate in a re-enactment.  Such is the story you are about to read, AirBike Ace  participating in the All Kansas Air Tour re-enactment.

The original tour was initiated by Kansas State Govvernor, Ben Paulin who in 1928 led other aviators on a state wide tour intended to establish Kansas' viability as the Air Capital of the World, a moniker that was eventually applied only to the city of Wichita.

The re-enactment tour was to cover 1600 miles, 26 cities, 7 flying days and could include anyone who want to fly in the tour.  Pilots could participate in a portion or all of the tour.  The re-enactment was held on the same days and hosted by many of the same cities as the original tour. I planed to fly the first two and last two legs of the tour as they were close to Wichita.
The Wichita Sectional shows the first five stops after leaving Wichita's Jabara Airport. Severe weather further west impacted the tour causing a change in plans.
Part of the flightline at McPherson airport.  Doug & Sabrina Moler parked their Bonanza next to my AirBike.  About 10 planes started from this staging point.
McPherson Airport
On day one of the tour, I flew from Derby to McPherson Airport to join up with about 10 other pilots for the first flight leg to Jabara Airport in Wichita.  The takeoff temperature at Derby was 34 degrees and the sun shone brightly.  The combination of windchill at 60 MPH makes one appreciate the dedication of those early air mail pilots who also flew open cockpit planes.  Tough guys they were!  However, none of my flight legs lasted over an hour and there was hot food and beverages at each destination.

En route to McPherson I visited Doug Moler in Valley Center, I needed this stop even though it was only 30 miles away, I was cold!  An hour later after warming up and drinking hot coffee I was on my way. Now, a direct headwind at 500' AGL held my ground speed to 45 MPH while the ASI read 70 MPH!  Going higher meant stronger headwinds.
While in the McPherson pattern I decided to land long as the FBO  was at the far end of the 5500' runwy.  The wind was blowing directly down the runway and the parallel grass strip looked very inviting.  Overflying the concrete at 10'
I drifted to the left and settled my tires down in the soft newly mowen turf.